Checking your contractor’s profile in public registers
It is important to get the information you need from reliable, official sources. In this article you will read about the most popular public registers that will help you in doing business in Poland.
There are several different public registers in Poland. Where to search for information about the entrepreneur you would like to cooperate with? It depends on the type of company they run.
- companies of natural persons (sole proprietorship and partners in civil law partnerships) can be found in the Central Registration and Information on Business (Centralna Ewidencja i Informacja o Działalności Gospodarczej – CEIDG)
- commercial law companies (incl. limited liability companies and registered partnerships) can be found in the National Court Register (Krajowy Rejestr Sądowy – KRS)
- civil law partnerships (if not present in the CEIDG) can be found in the REGONregister
VAT and NIP search
The Ministry of Finance operates a tax portal, which allows for:
- checking whether the contractor is an active VAT payer (the list only shows the current status of the VAT payer)
- verifying whether the tax identification number (NIP) you have been provided with is correct, invalidated, revoked or does not exist
The Ministry of Finance has also launched a list of entities that were not registered, removed from or reinstated in the register as VAT payers. That list contains complete information on the entity, such as removal from and reinstatement in the register.
If you want to confirm/check your EU VAT number, please use the search engine on the European Commission’s website.
Other useful registers
It may also be helpful to check the financial statements of the company in the Court and Economic Monitor. Valuable information may also be provided by the Register of Insolvent Debtors kept by the National Court Register. If you need more detailed information about the contractor, such as his financial condition, you can use the services of Economic Information Bureaus (Biura Informacji Gospodarczej) such as the National Debt Register (Krajowy Rejestr Długów).