The Economist’s Argentina Summit 2018 will bring together more than 200 government and business leaders to evaluate Argentina's progress over the last year and to discuss the country's social, political and economic future in the year ahead.
The Economist’s Inaugural Argentina Summit in March 2017 analysed the country’s social, political and economic progress since the election of Mauricio Macri as president.
The 2018 iteration of the event, taking place on March 15th in Buenos Aires, will examine how Argentina continues to balance its economy and make its way onto the global stage. While issues such as inflation, high interest rates, unemployment and poverty still loom large, the outcome of the October legislative elections – which have greatly enhanced President Macri’s position of leadership – will have a significant impact on the country’s path forward.
Chaired by Economist Editors, the Summit will tackle key questions critical to business leaders invested in the future of Argentina and its role in the global economy, such as:
Questions to be debated are:
- What is the outlook for growth and the peso?
- Will the government succeed in bringing in fresh thinking to political institutions?
- What can we gather about Argentina’s future from countries that have faced similar development challenges?
- What’s next for multinationals doing business in the country?
- How can Argentina leverage talent to catalyse innovation and entrepreneurship that drives economic growth?
- What are the structural challenges that still need to be resolved to bring greater investment from a disgruntled private sector?
Among the speakers you will find:
- EMILY SINNOTT - Lead Economist for Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay, World Bank
- JORGE LAWSON - Director, Banco Nación
- MARCOS GALPERIN - Founder and chief executive, Mercado Libre
- LUIS MIGUEL ETCHEVEHERE - Minister of agribusiness, Argentina
- JUAN JOSÉ ARANGUREN - Minister of energy and mining, Argentina
- ALEJANDRA CÁU CATTÁN - Director, Jujuy Province Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
- MORA KANTOR - Undersecretary of Integrity and Transparency, National Anticorruption Office (Argentina)
- GUSTAVO BELIZ - Director, Institute for the Integration of Latin America and the Caribbean (INTAL)
The opportunities are right here in Argentina!
Should you need any support, please contact our Trade Office in Buenos Aires.